Friday, August 11, 2006

Science isn't fun

After my dismal week doing field science I have had some time to reflect on the nature of scientific work. As an undergrad I worked for a time in a lab that manufactured scientific instruments. Six months of lab work convinced me that I was not meant to work in a lab. Lab work is repetitive and lonely. Field work, of course, has the advantage of a more interesting setting, but is largely the same. What makes this work worthwhile is a passion for the subject. Yes, I said it, an emotional attachment to your subject. All the current adversity involved in my current job would feel less menial and more worthwhile if my co-workers expressed some passion and excitement for the project and it's importance. I have met many scientists and the successful ones all expressed excitement and passion for their subjects.

To make up for my frustration:

Tonight's drink: Pineapple, cranberry, lime, with vodka

Tonight's dinner: Indonisian fried rice with fried tofu (ala Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone)

Tags: ,

1 comment:

Leslie M-B said...

Oh Breena, I'm so sorry. It's been a rough time, hasn't it? And the heat can't help!

For how much longer do you need to keep this up?

You know what I have passion for? The correct use of "its" and "it's."

;)

Also, I can't believe you drank without me.