Thursday, April 27, 2006

I would like to explain...

I haven't been blogging and I would like to tell the full story of the rollercoaster I have been on, but I don't have hours to explain. So I'll give a brief timeline/synopsis...

Last Friday-Rushing to class I fall and twist my ankle. This happens to me fairly often so I didn't think much of it.

Last Weekend-My foot is still sore so I try the RICE treatment.

Monday-My class is going to visit the site of our next project and since missing a site visit is highly frowned upon I spend the morning limping around on a gravel road. By mid-afternoon my foot is pretty sore and turning purple.

Tuesday-I skip my classes to take my foot to the urgent care clinic. The x-rays show a broken 5th metatarsal. The doctor warns me to absolutely stay off the foot until I can be seen the orthopedist on Thursday because it might be the dreaded "Jones" fracture. The prognosis is that I may have to be on crutches, not using the foot for at least six weeks.

Wednesday-I'm terribly slow and tired from trying hop around on the crutches. I manage to arrange for the student disability center shuttle to lug me around campus from class to class. Unfortunately, that doesn't solve my biggest problem, the fact that two of my three classes are held on the second floor of a building without elevators. Since I fell down and broke my foot when I had two good legs, I'm not at all sure about negotiating the stairs with one leg and two crutches.

Thursday-My upper body is so sore I can't life my arms above my head. I'm worrying about how I'm going to get through my classes and my two jobs while staying off my broken foot. The orthopedist takes a quick look at my foot, but he begins by mistakenly examining my good foot. Then he tells me that it should heal in about four weeks and I can walk on it as much as I want.

I'm not sure whether to be relieved or pissed off. I have missed almost a week of classes trying to stay off the foot. Between Beorn and I, we have had some sort of major health issue every week this quarter. I'm completely behind on all my work and have no idea how to get caught up. On the plus side, I can now walk around in my wooden shoe/brace with only minimal crutch use. Beorn doesn't have to do all the chores. I can now manage to walk and carry a glass of water at the same time.

1 comment:

Dharma said...

Oh honey. I would double check his prognosis. My ex had a major injury to her foot. I know others in this situation as well. If you have any feeling like it's not getting better on the schedule you think it should, go see someone!