Thursday, November 09, 2006

Oh to have my own class

I just got an email from a student with a paper draft, but unfortunately, this student completely misunderstood the prompt. As a TA, I didn't write the assignment prompt and I spent the entire discussion session trying to clarify it for the students. I went over what I was expecting and had them discuss, in groups, what they are planning to write about. I even tried to give examples. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to get quite a few papers that are completely confused.

I asked the lecturer to create some sort of grading rubric for the assignment so that I could let the students know how we would be grading it, but he never did. I think each TA is interpreting the assignment in our own way since the prompt was very vague. I have had to try to give the students some structure and direction because the assignment was so vague. Frankly, at this point I would rather just decide for myself how to grade them. If he creates a rubric after they have turned it in it will just be confusing and unfair to the students.

If the students misunderstand the assignment and write a good research paper instead, what should I do? Normally I would give a D or F if the student didn't put in enough effort to thoroughly read the assignment. But if the assignment is completely confusing and unreasonable for a lower division, general education class, then how fair is it to penalize a student who made a genuine effort?

Maybe I'm just a big softy, but I don't expect freshman to automatically know what modernism and postmodernism are or what geomorphology means. Should freshman already know those things? Because I sure didn't when I was a freshman. I guess I should take a positive outlook on this class, because the lectures are completely post modern: it's a collage, a montage, or some sort of performance art.

3 comments:

Dharma said...

I am far from being a freshman and I have no idea this gibberish you speak at the end of your post. Now the beginning, I understand and thank my stars that I'm not a TA, though the steady work would have been nice.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Yes, exactly. I don't know how many times I've sighed exactly those words: "Oh to have my own class." When dealing with the instructor who would "prefer not to give out failing grades" (sometimes an F is effective and needed!), or the prof who knew fully well that the students wouldn't have time to fully finish the midterm, but wouldn't grade it on any sort of curve or grant any sort of leniency.

Inching towards changing my name to "Itchbay Snorglemuffin"...

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Hubby had the same issues with the people he TAd for. I was lucky enough to have a lot of leeway in my grading. They pretty much told me to do what I thought was best...