Sunday, August 20, 2006

The book meme

Trillwing tagged me, so here it goes...

1. One book that changed your life?
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Milan Kundera

2. One book you have read more than once?
The Naria Series
C.S. Lewis
I can't count how many times I read those as a kid.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I love magical realism. That book is complex enough to read over and over. I considered some 19th century British novels, but frankly I find them depressing.

4. One book that made you laugh?
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Spider Robinson

5. One book that made you cry?
The Culture of Make Believe
Derrick Jensen
This book is not about fairytales or fantasy, it's about hate and racism (very difficult to read.)

6. One book you wish had been written?
Is this question really, "What book are you planning to write?" How am I supposed to know what hasn't been written? There are all sorts of books I wish adults had given me to read as a kid, but I'm not sure what hasn't been written. I wish there were more coming of age novels for girls. Maybe there are but I haven't read many.

7. One book you wish had never had been written?
This is a difficult question...There are tons of books out there that are just insipid, but I usually don't read them. The book I remember hating the most because I was force to read it was
The Old Man and the Sea
Ernest Hemingway
As a teenager I was horrified by the type of masculinity it glorified.

8. One book you are currently reading?
The Death and Life of Great American Cities
Jane Jacobs

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Foucault's Pendulum
Umberto Eco

10. Now tag five people -
Who hasn't been tagged? I want to hear from some feminist sci-fi folks. If you are out there, consider yourself tagged.

No comments: