Saturday, June 07, 2008

Web Misogyny

I'm sure that this-Men who hate women on the Web | Salon- is old news to most of you, but I just wanted to point out that misogyny directed at female writers on the web isn't what we should be focusing on. These incidents are just the tip of the f*cking iceberg when it comes to hatred of and violence against women in this country. True, these guys on the web feel free to say whatever crap comes into their heads because they can hide, but that is what is allowing us to see a bit of what is going on in their f*cked up minds.

On the other side, I am so frustrated that intelligent, successful women like Joan Walsh are still questioning whether or not they should respond or get upset when this kind of crap happens. These guys aren't going to stop just because we ignore them. This country needs to face up to the problem instead of hiding or minimizing it.

3 comments:

The History Enthusiast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your post. Sometimes it's almost as if the second wave had never happened. Depressingly my wife has just fought a really intense battle on a left bulletin board she contributes to to get them to take the issue of sexism and sexist abuse seriously. It's unbelievable.

The History Enthusiast said...

I deleted my previous comment because the person that I mentioned within it requested that I remove it or he would sue me for libel.

Sounds like overreacting to me, but I complied anyway. Just wanted to let you know.