Monday, March 20, 2006

Writing, writing, writing!

This quarter has been good to me, I'll miss it. But for the moment I still have a lot of work to do. First draft of my 20 page literature review is done. I know for all of you that are in the middle of dissertations twenty pages is nothing, but I'm still new at this grad school thing. The literature on this particular topic is really interesting, which is great because I keep finding new articles, but its also terrible because I'm tempted to continue following the references into new and different areas, never finishing my paper.
I also talked to my advisor and agreed on some possible research interests. My thesis work is shaping up and I'm really excited. My advisor mentioned a research interest that she has always wanted to pursue, but didn't have the technical knowledge. I'm also fascinated by the possibilities for research using this technology so I'm really excited.

I'm also a little concerned about the speed of my writing. It seems that five pages is about all I can manage in a day, which seems rather slow. I think I'm still not familiar enough with the topics I'm writing about to know what needs explaining and what is common knowledge within the discipline.

I still have to write two short papers and grade twenty exams in the next few days.
Ok, back to work!

2 comments:

Ancrene Wiseass said...

Twenty pages is not nothing! Sometimes, in fact, twenty pages is a Very Big Deal, indeed.

And five pages per day is actually a very good pace, I think. Lord, if I were writing five pages a day, I'd be ecstatic.

Speaking of which . . . .

Dharma said...

Five pages a day! Good lord I could whip out all my over due papers for all my incompletes this semester and write this semesters paper at that rate! Wow. And as Ancrene says, speaking of which....